Saturday, July 16, 2016

WEEK 13

I didn't quite understand what the man in our first video this week was saying. He mentioned career paths and dealmakers, but I wasn't quite sure at all what that meant. The second video I loved. He mentioned how most people work for a company for about 11 months and then move on. The idea is put in our heads that we stay with one company and move up the ladder in that company to get to where we want to be. I feel like a shift has happened though where that doesn't make as much sense anymore. Most of what happens is working at many different companies and finding new things and learning new things and then from there moving onward and upward. Moving to a new company with the skills you learned at the last one and hopefully learning more new things and repeating. It is so easy now to do that. He also mentioned that we shouldn't try to specialize in something. Technology advances so far and so fast these days that you could specialize in something and then eventually it becomes obsolete. New software is always coming out that makes our jobs easier. Also this ease in changing jobs makes it not as important where you first start because you probably won't stay with them forever. We are always on the lookout for something better. This idea used to terrify me that I would always have to work for the company I start with for a really long time, or that I just might not be able to find somewhere that I would want to work for for that long. However, that doesn't matter. You gain experience and skills and progress to gain more experience and skills. That is what is really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment