Sunday, June 26, 2016

Week 10

I really liked the videos this week. I shared the main ideas with my wife because I thought they were so interesting. One video talked about how his team got to be in the top 100 boat dealerships in North America 2 years in a row. He made a point of saying that he is just a normal guy, but as just a normal guy, he was still able to get into that top 100 of North America. Dream big, don't underestimate what you can achieve. Strive for greatness because the amount of effort is about the same and the reward is so much greater. I also really liked the video about the 20% at Google. By giving employees 20% of work time to work on whatever they wanted, half of the products that they came out with were a result of that 20%. The other half was the other 80% of their time. These people are smart enough and creative enough to use their top quality equipment to come up with good ideas and products. It also builds a trust between the company and the employee. The employee knows that the company trusts them and obviously wants to do well, apart from being even more motivated to make something they came up with work well. Also from the interview this week I learned a lot about a person who focused on running their own business without studying business to start their own business. It was eye opening to see that sort of perspective. I feel I could run a business at least partially well, but I don't have a product or service to give directly. I interviewed my father, and he went to school to be an orthopedic surgeon. His focus was on the service and the business experience followed. It had to, because he wouldn't have been able to stay in practice had he not learned the things that you have to do to run a business. Granted he said he may not be doing everything perfectly, but he does it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment